Today I chose to treasure the ones I love:)

Monday, April 20, 2009

Yard Work Extravaganza

We had a beautiful weekend here in Filer. Saturday was a bit breezy, but the sun was shining and we were very productive. Sunday was perfect, clear skies, and no wind.. We played hookie from church. shhh!

Hazel and I found a big patch of asparagus growing out by the creek in the pasture, I was very excited and pulled out all of the old growth from last year. We were already able to harvest 5 or 6 stalks, yeah! Paul had a friend out who has a backhoe, we got a lot of excavating done that had been on Paul's Honey Do list for awhile. We dug out a swimming hole in the creek for the kids, it is about waist deep on Davis, just perfect for getting wet and cooling off, and big enough that Paul and I can float around and get a little sun!

I got my garden up and going on Sunday, very exciting. We had lots of horse and chicken manure at our disposal, so I am hoping for big juicy vegetables this summer. I am going to have to expand it a few rows to get my corn in... I wasn't thinking big enough I guess! Didn't realize how much room those squash varieties take up. Overall we had a great weekend, it felt so good to be outside doing and accomplishing! I have a nice cherry red sunburn on my shoulders and the back of my legs to show for it too! Too bad when I was lathering kids with sunscreen, I didn't think to cover my own hide, a lesson learned for the year, I hope.

Kids are ready for school to be out, its getting hard to explain to a three year old why she has to go to bed when its "not dark out". Davis is longing for three months of sleeping in and reading what he wants even if it isn't an AR book. I'm with him. I have about 3 weeks of school left, we are in the home stretch. I'm looking forward to summer and actually doing some extra curricular reading, something thoughtless and fun. Paul is going to start back with me in the fall doing an Algebra class... Nice way to ease back in right? Ick. Misery loves company! :)

Nothing but sunshine and pure warmness in the forecast for the next few days, I'm planning on getting over my sunburn and getting outside!

No comments:

Post a Comment